How to distribute Partitions across multiple HD?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 16:22:46 UTC 2007

I have a nice fast computer with a slow HD making the end result very slow.
If I buy a new HD or more what should I put where?
For example if I have 2 hd one fast and one slow should I put the root
folder on the slow one and the Home folder on the fast one?  What of
the swap file?
I am running a home system that spends 90% of it's time online,
playing music files and downloading with ktorrent. It is also used for
a little gaming and some gimp and blender3d.
It has an AMD x2 3800
2 GB ram.

My main question is, is it worth it to get a second drive? What goes where?
A third drive? What goes where?
How fast should each drive be and how big?
What drive is best?
7200 or pay for a 15000 RPM drive
16mb buffer?
My computer uses SATA 3 Gb/s

My goal is speed of responce and start up of programs.

Thanks for any ideas.

Douglas