Screen Freeze

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:54:20 UTC 2007

> Yeah i mean what you've written.
> In Display menu i want to change the resolution screen but as soon as i
> push the screen button,my screen freeze and i have to restart my pc.

Okay, it sounds like your computer does not have complete information about
your monitor. I have searched on the Ubuntu forums and found this link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973&highlight=change+resolution+howto

OR, you can try this:

1. Open a console (Alt-F2, type 'konsole' (sans quotes)) and type:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
2. Type:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
3. Answer the questions as best as you can, best if you copy the info that is
printed on the sticker on the back of the monitor onto a bit of paper for
quick reference. It will also ask about your mouse and keyboard, so just do
your best.
4. After that is finished, you must restart X. The quickest way to do this is
to close all your apps (save all your work) and then press:
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
5. If it comes back after a few seconds and let's you login that's a good
sign. If not then you have made a mistake in step 3. If so then press
Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F2) until you see a login prompt, login and go back to step 2.
6. Login to KDE and try to change the resolution now.

7.If nothing works and you just want your original resolution back then you
must get your original xorg file back, so type:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx (or startkde, I can't recall)

I hope that helps you, give it a go; play around a little.
:D
/d