KDE won't start on one account (Was: LCD Monitor recommendations)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:40:36 UTC 2007

On 13/02/07, J. Stewart Schneider <stew.schneider at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got my KDE fouled up but good! Running an LCD, I get jibberish on the
> screen until X starts, then a properly displayed log on screen. If I log
> into kathy, all is well. If I log into stewart, the screen goes black with a
> complaint from the monitor that the timing is out of range.
>
> I then replaced the LCD with a CRT. I can now log into both accounts, but
> there is a significant difference in K|System Settings|Display:
>
> kathy: 640x480 at 60hz, 800x600 at 56hz, 1024x768 at 85hz, 1280x1024 at 60 hz,
> 1400x1050 at 60hz
> stewart: 640x480 at 60hz, 800x600 at 56hz, 1024x768 at 85hz, 1280x1024 at 60hz
>
> There can't be two xorg.conf. Where is this information stored?
>
> TIA
> stew

Gibberish on the LCD before the login screen is fine. So far as I can
tell, KDE doesn't store the resolutions, just gives you access to the
resolutions in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I'd mv ~/.kde to ~/.kde.bk on the
fouled up account and try to salvage what you can from there.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/161/dire_straits.html
http://dotancohen.com/howto/rbldnsd/index.php