endline characters

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Feb 11 01:26:59 UTC 2007

Maynard Wright wrote:

> This situation seemed to prevail through RedHat 8 (LF) and W98SE (CR-LF).
> In attempting to resolve some issues involved with porting code from Linux
> Windows XP, I see that the situation seems to have been reversed.
> Although Kate under RH8 defaulted to LF endlines, Kate under Dapper
> defaults to CR-LF.

Definitely not.  I routinely copy Kate-edited files to Windows systems -
then have to do it again using text mode in FTP, because I didn't get CRs
before the LFs.

> Conversely, a file edited by Notepad under Windows XP
> and emailed to me (I don't have any OS other than Linux anymore) used only
> LF endlines.
>
> Although I haven't found a definitive commentary on this aspect of
> Windows, a Google search seems to indicate that up through W98SE,
> Microsoft OS used CR-LF, but that OS since that version, including XP, use
> LF as an endline character.

Yesterday, I'd have said WTF????  but I did notice that .vmx files generated
by vmware-converter on XP today, read straight off the NTFS filesystem,
looked perfectly fine in Kate.  A barely-educated guess suggests it's
likely to do with identical representations of newline in UTF-8 or UTF-16
rather than an official change of policy under either OS.
--
derek