Today's New Kernel (Saturday 10th)

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Sat Feb 10 06:29:45 UTC 2007

Vayu wrote:

>>>What kind of project is that?
>>>

>>I´m translating 122,342 words of questionnaires.
>>It´s in a spreadsheet (came as .xls, but, of course, I converted to .ods).
>>I use OmegaT, OOo, and other FOSS tools, only, in my business.
>>This is all accountants answering questionnaires about their
>>qualifications and professional goals,
>>and, generally kissing butt, all hoping to be promoted or sent abroad to
>>study and work...boring stuff...
>>for a multi-national electrical energy distribution company with a
>>branch in Brazil, apparently.
>>Translating them from Brazilian Portuguese to English.
>>
>>tony
>>

> Pretty impressive that you're going to do that in 10 days.

For a chunk ´o change like that, I give up sleep.
My secret is Brazilian coffee (http://www.pilao.com).
Normally I can translate between 4000 to 6000 words a day,
depending on the language pair (I also translate from Spanish and
French) and complexity of the text.
Since Brazilian Portuguese is really my second language (what we speak
at home),
and these questionnaires are rather simply, I am hoping to push the
envelope on my speed record here.
I have done as much as 8000 words/day in this pair on some rather simple
medical questionnaires
in the same pair.  Since much of the work here entail questions that are
repeated hundreds of times,
OmegaT translates them all when I do the first one (great tool,
definitely augments efficiency),
effectively reducing the load to about 80k words on this project.
So, running at full speed, and not sleeping, I WILL make this deadline.
I have a family to feed (and spoil).

tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com