AMD64 on HP dv9000z problems

Howard Coles dhcolesj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:15:21 UTC 2007

I found out something very interesting, and I'm not real sure where to
go from here.

Let me lay it out:
1.  I installed Kubuntu on my laptop (using noapic iommu=off kernel
switches), and everything is basically running, except the noapic
causes things to break (like usb support).
2.  I then add Feisty to my sources.list file and just upgrade the
kernel nothing else.

I could then boot up with just the iommu=off switch and everything
worked (well, as good as it can anyway).

I thought, "cool, I finish the Feisty upgrade since it works"  BAD IDEA!

For some reason after I did an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade
I can no longer boot without the noapic kernel switch.

Does anyone have any idea why that may be?  I'm still using the same
kernel as before, or so it seemed.

I had Debian working real well on the thing with their 2.6.18 kernel,
however I can't print to my Brother printer from straight up Debian, I
can with Kubuntu.  So, I wanted to get Kubuntu back on the machine.

I guess my question is, does anyone know of a way to avoid having to
use the noapic kernel switch with feisty?  Or, am I going to have to
do the hybrid thing again (edgy with everything but the kernel, and
feisty's kernel).

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.