Linspire and KDE

Bry Paula Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sat Feb 10 02:26:41 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 11:21 -0800, Vayu wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Bry Paula Melvin wrote:
> >

> >> I have seen Kubuntu as less polished than Ubuntu, I  think this just might
> >> lead to more balance between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
> >>

> > LOL.  There's nothing less polished about Kubuntu - the non-desktop stuff is
> > identical, and the KDE desktop is imo more polished than gnome.
> >
> That's my feeling too.

Interesting...this difference of opinion could result from platform
differences. We have had the problems that led me to say this only on
ppc. after installing Kubuntu-Desktop on Dapper with these we lost all
sudo/root functions and had to fix it all :-(

Notably also there are differences in functionality still between Gnome
and KDE example: on the machine I'm on now in KDE it currently tells me
I have 76% charge and 187 hours left on battery. Gnome gives more
realistic numbers.

 We  had no sudo/root problems on the pcs. Kubuntu-desktop installed on
top of pressed cd Ubuntu installs.

So maybe I should clarify that powerpc Kubuntu does not seem as polished
as ppc Ubuntu , and on second thought Linspire work is probably not
going to help much for powerpc stuff anyway. ISTR they are i86 only.

Realistically I don't imagine there are a lot of ppc Kubuntu users
relative to pc users. So there are many less people to find the problems
and get them fixed.

Overall though despite these I still generally prefer KDE, although
GNome has me pulling my hair out less than when I first used both back
with SuSe 7.3

Bryann