LCD Monitor recommendations

Vayu vayu at sklinks.com
Fri Feb 9 01:19:34 UTC 2007

Robert Morrison wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 February 2007 21:06, Vayu wrote:

>> I've got three machines with 1680x1050 working very well.
>>

> Ah. Well then, maybe I can ask you for help. I have a 1680x1050
> monitor that I tried to configure with:
>
>   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>
> That command brings up a curses interface; it was clear
> curses didn't quite get the terminal environment it was
> in, because there were odd characters around the borders
> and the prompts didn't line up with the input area. Somewhere
> around the third screen it got lost; I tried just pressing
> 'enter' a few times, but it just got hung up.
>
> When I ran this from inside a vterm, I was able to recover
> by going back to my current X session and shutting down
> normally. I tried running it from a 'recovery mode' boot,
> and the machine hung to the point I had to use the power switch
> to turn it off.
>
> If it matters:
>
> -- Monitor: 20 inch E207WFP Digital Flat Panel
> -- Video Card: 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
>
> (The card is probably one of those odd OEM things,
> but I did see it listed under supported hardware
> somewhere when I was man-nv-ing.)
>
> I gave up on the E207WFP and have installed an older
> 17 inch LCD that works just fine. It would be nice to
> have the widescreen, though; I saw it at 1680x1050
> when I (briefly) booted the machine under the OS it
> came with, and I thought "wow, room for two 'full-screen'
> apps next to each other." (Not really "full-screen,"
> you know, just "as big as you want it;" we need a
> new term for a "maximized" app that takes up half of
> a widescreen window's area.)

Side by side windows with the 1680x1050 widescreen was the most
significant hardware upgrade I've had in 20 years of computing.

To get it working make sure you have the nVidia driver installed.
Install the linux restricted modules. Install the one corresponding to
the version of the kernel you're using (use uname -r to find which kernel).

Install nvidia-glx

Change your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Change the device section so that it has: Driver "nvidia"
If you want to get rid of the nvidia logo when X starts put: Option "NoLogo"
If you want 3D (like for screensavers) use: Option "RenderAccel" "True"

Here's what my device section looks like:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 Ultra]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "NoLogo"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
EndSection

Under screen you have to put an entry under display that has "1680x1050"
I took away all the other resolutions, you can leave them if you want,
just make sure that the display subsection that matches your default
depth has the "1680x1050" as the first entry. I took all the other
depths away as well.

Here's my screen section:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 Ultra]"
Monitor "DELL 2005FPW"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24