LCD Monitor recommendations

Robert Morrison orbert at orbert.net
Thu Feb 8 22:34:41 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 21:06, Vayu wrote:

> I've got three machines with 1680x1050 working very well.

Ah. Well then, maybe I can ask you for help. I have a 1680x1050
monitor that I tried to configure with:

  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

That command brings up a curses interface; it was clear
curses didn't quite get the terminal environment it was
in, because there were odd characters around the borders
and the prompts didn't line up with the input area. Somewhere
around the third screen it got lost; I tried just pressing
'enter' a few times, but it just got hung up.

When I ran this from inside a vterm, I was able to recover
by going back to my current X session and shutting down
normally. I tried running it from a 'recovery mode' boot,
and the machine hung to the point I had to use the power switch
to turn it off.

If it matters:

-- Monitor: 20 inch E207WFP Digital Flat Panel
-- Video Card: 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

(The card is probably one of those odd OEM things,
but I did see it listed under supported hardware
somewhere when I was man-nv-ing.)

I gave up on the E207WFP and have installed an older
17 inch LCD that works just fine. It would be nice to
have the widescreen, though; I saw it at 1680x1050
when I (briefly) booted the machine under the OS it
came with, and I thought "wow, room for two 'full-screen'
apps next to each other." (Not really "full-screen,"
you know, just "as big as you want it;" we need a
new term for a "maximized" app that takes up half of
a widescreen window's area.)