Ubuntu & Linspire

Lokeey lokeey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 19:34:17 UTC 2007

i don't look at it that way, but i know where you're coming from joe!

you have to keep in mind that linux DESKTOP is trying to make it's way into
the mainstream "CORP" America and compete with M$. Linux is already
operating in many company servers, so getting a piece of the desktop market
would be a big, no...HUGE step.

On 2/8/07, Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> wrote:

> ac wrote:
> > Lokeey wrote:
> >> Hey all, I just read about Ubuntu and Linspire teaming up. Based on
> >> anyone expertise or experience, would someone be able to comment on
> this
> >> and say if this is a good/bad thing???
> >>
> >> ================
> >> Canonical Ltd., the sponsor of Ubuntu, and Linspire Inc. the developer
> >> of Linspire and Freespire, on February 8 announced a technology
> >> <http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2092672,00.asp#>
> partnership
> >> to integrate with each other's Linux distributions.
> >>
> >> Linspire/Freespire will be based on Ubuntu, rather than Debian, and
> >> Ubuntu will integrate with Linspire's CNR package installer/updater.
> >>
> >> Starting with Ubuntu's 7.04 release in April, Ubuntu users will gain
> >> access to Linspire's newly opened CNR (Click and Run) e-commerce and
> >> software delivery system. For Linspire, that will mean moving from
> >> Debian to Ubuntu as the base for its Linspire and Freespire desktop
> >> operating systems
> >> <http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2092672,00.asp#>.
> >
> > The more distros which like to base themselves on ubuntu then the
> > happier I become.
> >
> > Also, in the harsh world, many folks like to get proprietary binaries
> > the easy way, and the deal gets value from that too.
>
> Well, that to me is the straw that broke the camel's back.  I'm all for
> the advancement of Linux and of it gaining popularity, but I was already
> leary of the way they were heading...trying to remove the command line
> from Linux is just as bad as Windows 95 taking away DOS.
>
> Perhaps I have just grown out of the hand-holding of the community.  I
> don't want things easier because that makes them transparent.  Perhaps
> Debian itself is a better alternative.  At least that community is the
> one that is doing most of the work, and THEY know when things are
> stable.  The only downside is that they support too many different
> architectures that hold them back.  There are others...
>
> Let Ubuntu/Mepis/Linspire/Mint be for the new converts.  The real
> hackers won't run them anyway.  You want good information, you need to
> turn to Debian and since Dapper, compatibility with Debian has been
> waning.  Dapper is good, Edgy is OK, but I am afraid that Feisty will
> never make it on my computer.
>
> Do I hear Sid calling?  Perhaps Gentoo is knocking on the door...
> The beauty of Linux is to be able to choose.  I choose control over my
> computer.
>
> The beauty of Linux lies in the fact that there is a distribution for
> everyone.  I wish all of you the best of luck.
>
> Joe

"I am what I am because of who we all are"