Ubuntu & Linspire

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Thu Feb 8 19:26:15 UTC 2007

> ac wrote:
>> Lokeey wrote:
>>> Hey all, I just read about Ubuntu and Linspire teaming up. Based on
>>> anyone expertise or experience, would someone be able to comment on
>>> this
>>> and say if this is a good/bad thing???
>>>
>>> ================
>>> Canonical Ltd., the sponsor of Ubuntu, and Linspire Inc. the developer
>>> of Linspire and Freespire, on February 8 announced a technology
>>> <http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2092672,00.asp#>
>>> partnership
>>> to integrate with each other's Linux distributions.
>>>
>>> Linspire/Freespire will be based on Ubuntu, rather than Debian, and
>>> Ubuntu will integrate with Linspire's CNR package installer/updater.
>>>
>>> Starting with Ubuntu's 7.04 release in April, Ubuntu users will gain
>>> access to Linspire's newly opened CNR (Click and Run) e-commerce and
>>> software delivery system. For Linspire, that will mean moving from
>>> Debian to Ubuntu as the base for its Linspire and Freespire desktop
>>> operating systems
>>> <http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2092672,00.asp#>.
>>
>> The more distros which like to base themselves on ubuntu then the
>> happier I become.
>>
>> Also, in the harsh world, many folks like to get proprietary binaries
>> the easy way, and the deal gets value from that too.
>
> Well, that to me is the straw that broke the camel's back.  I'm all for
> the advancement of Linux and of it gaining popularity, but I was already
> leary of the way they were heading...trying to remove the command line
> from Linux is just as bad as Windows 95 taking away DOS.
>
> Perhaps I have just grown out of the hand-holding of the community.  I
> don't want things easier because that makes them transparent.  Perhaps
> Debian itself is a better alternative.  At least that community is the
> one that is doing most of the work, and THEY know when things are
> stable.  The only downside is that they support too many different
> architectures that hold them back.  There are others...
>
> Let Ubuntu/Mepis/Linspire/Mint be for the new converts.  The real
> hackers won't run them anyway.  You want good information, you need to
> turn to Debian and since Dapper, compatibility with Debian has been
> waning.  Dapper is good, Edgy is OK, but I am afraid that Feisty will
> never make it on my computer.
>
> Do I hear Sid calling?  Perhaps Gentoo is knocking on the door...
> The beauty of Linux is to be able to choose.  I choose control over my
> computer.
>
> The beauty of Linux lies in the fact that there is a distribution for
> everyone.  I wish all of you the best of luck.
>
> Joe

Wow, lots of broad statements there.... I always thought the beauty of
Ubuntu was that all the command line stuff, the "hardcore", is still there
and one can use it if he/she wants to or if one is closer to a "newbie"
then he/she can use the graphical options to change/update/configure their
system.

--
Jonathan Jesse