Using apt-get [Was:Re: tool used to download packages?]

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Thu Feb 8 13:40:52 UTC 2007

> On 08/02/07, Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> wrote:
>>

>> James Heaver wrote:
>>

>> > Does this have any impact on what GUI I should be using?
>> >

>> I am not exactly sure about the GUI apps, because I use the command line
>> all the time.  I do search with adept and synaptic, but usually don't
>> use them to install.
>>
>> > I'm new (6 months or so) to using linux and have been ubuntu the whole
>> > time and I'd completely missed this so far.  Any guides on the
>> internet
>> > I've seen for installing specific programs give apt-get commands.
>> >
>> > If its recommended that people use aptitude instead then perhaps
>> > something needs to change in the documentation.
>>
>> You're right.  It's in the Debian Reference, which was written BEFORE
>> Sarge was stable, which means it's rather old by linux standards, Debian
>> recommends using it, and since Ubuntu is based on debian, it makes
>> sense.  BTW, Debian's recommended way before aptitude was dselect.
>> apt-get is a very old tool that is supplied only because people got used
>> to using it and one thing you can be assured about Debian is that they
>> don't remove commands that people use.  If any distribution strives for
>> backward compatibility it is Debian.
>

> Thats one problem that there seems to be with linux - the documentation.
> Quite often its poor, but even when there is good documentation it can be
> quite fragmented and difficult to find.  (One guide here, a manual there,
> guide for something else somewhere else, the odd FAQ etc etc).
>
> I've yet to get the hang on linux documentation really.
>
>> Of course it could just be the case that I'm being selectively stupid
>> > and should have noticed this.
>> Like you said, it should be better wrny impact on what GUI I should be
using?

>> I am not exactly suritten in the documentation.
>>
>> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php is full of useful tips.  One
>> that I really liked was how to get Konqueror to be the default file
>> manager in Gnome.  I don't really like gnome, but it's a lot easier to
>> deal with if Nautilus gets replaced with Konqueror.
>

> That looks like a useful site, thanks for the tip.
>

> James

I'm quite partial to the whole documentation for linux is hard because of
the fact that I work w/ the docs for ubuntu as a member of the ubuntu-docs
team.  I know the group strives to make the documentation great.  If you
have any suggestions on changes or would like to help, feel free to join
us at the ubuntu-docs mailing list.

--
Jonathan Jesse