Using apt-get [Was:Re: tool used to download packages?]

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Feb 8 13:38:28 GMT 2007

Joe Hart wrote:

> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude
>
> It explains the differences in detail.  Aptitude looks quite strange if
> you've never seen it before.  If you run it without giving any
> parameters and you get a text-based screen similar to Synaptic, but much
> more cryptic.

Or, to be generous, you could say "similar to dselect but much _less_
cryptic" :-)

> Aptitude when run
> as a command by itself defaults to installing bar along with foo,
> because it is recommended.  You can of course choose not to install bar,
> but usually the other packages are recommended for a reason.

My experience with choosing not to install "Recommends" was that it then
told me it was going to remove ALL of the automatically installed
Recommends packages.  Not very nice.  It seems it must be all or none.
--
derek