tool used to download packages?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Feb 7 18:16:04 UTC 2007

Joe Hart wrote:

> Personally, I don't know what else to tell you.  Other than re-compiling
> dpkg to use a different method, and I don't really recommend doing that
> because if you break dpkg, then you'll never be able to update or
> install things the Debian way.

dpkg doesn't do downloads.  Breaking apt would probably be bad, too, but (a)
it's theoretically possible to add another download method, so that http or
ftp would still work as usual, but your new method could be used instead;
and (b) in the worst case you could download packages with wget and install
them with dpkg.
--
derek