tool used to download packages?

Joe Hart j.hart at orange.nl
Wed Feb 7 15:32:00 UTC 2007

Andy Harrison wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> wrote:
>> What happens if you change to a different mirror?
>

> I don't know how to force a particular package to be downloaded from a
> specific mirror.  Either way though, if I can flawlessly download the
> same package from the same repository using a different tool, I don't
> really think it's a problem with which mirror I happen to be using for
> my download.

I believe you.  I just think it might help.  If you look at your
/etc/apt/sources.list file (or look at the repos with adept or synaptic)
you should see which sites it's using.  For example, I use:

deb http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main

Which is in The Netherlands, because that's where I am.  Most countries
have a mirror, but you're not restricted to using the one closest to
you.  In some cases a mirror such as:

deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main

is faster.

Personally, I don't know what else to tell you.  Other than re-compiling
dpkg to use a different method, and I don't really recommend doing that
because if you break dpkg, then you'll never be able to update or
install things the Debian way.