tool used to download packages?

Andy Harrison aharrison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 13:53:08 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> The question would be why would you need to change it?

The reason is that the tool does not work properly.  I regularly get
timeout errors from this tool, definitely more than 50% of the time.
Yet if I take the url from the error message regarding which package
it timed out on and simply paste that url right to the commandline
with wget, it downloads immediately at my usual blazing speed without
so much as a hiccup.

My network connection is rock solid, never any errors on my ethernet
interface, and I never have any issues with my physical network
connection when I'm here at the office on the wired network (I work at
an isp and my desk is two hops from gigabits of b/w).  The only time I
ever have problems downloading anything is with apt-get (either from
the cli or from adept).

--
Andy Harrison