w32codecs

Jonathan Zeppettini jonzep at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 05:10:48 UTC 2007

I have to agree with your analysis, while these programs have filled a
gap and perform useful functions relating to making Ubuntu more usable
the ultimate goal should be to have these functions integrated into
the OS so extra features that may be legally encumbered can be
installed in a painless fashion that doesn't require third party
tools. Whether that means including one of the programs [1] by default
or independent initiatives such as Feisty's new easy codec
installation [2] this seems to be the direction Ubuntu is moving.

[1] EasyUbuntu or Automatix
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/easy-codec-installation

JZ