Help w/ wireless on Dell Latitude D520

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:36:52 UTC 2007

Speaking of ndiswrapper - here is some help on the forum I have not tried (for
time) yet but was in answer to my question about my USB modem stick. It seems
generic, though, might work for a pcmcia card too:

[quote]
I'm runing on Ubuntu 6.10 with that usb adapter, using ndiswrapper.

This is how i made it work:

1. Get the driver. I got mine from SMC Networks: http://www.smc.com

2. Unpack the driver somwhere like in home dir.

3. Install ndiswrapper (use terminal or synaptic package manager), and the
windows driver through NDISWrapper
Im using the terminal:
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.8
cd /where_you_unpacked_the_driver/ (if there's subfolder for OS go there, i
used the WinXp folder)
sudo ndiswrapper -i SMC2862W.inf (This should be the name of the Windows INF
file in the folder)
sudo ndiswrapper -l (shows if the driver is installed) Mine looks like
this "smc2862w driver installed, hardware present"
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper (this inserts the module in the kernel)
sudo ndiswrapper -m (this creates a default entry for ndiswrapper
in /etc/modprobe.d/)

4. Get the Network Manager package (is use gnome)
sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

5. Reboot

If all went well you should now have an additional applet in the top bar that
displays the a list of WLANS in the area, or you can select add one (if ssid
is hidden)
[/quote]

hthalb
/d