Lost Display Settings

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 5 01:29:28 UTC 2007

John:

This a combination of how the ATI driver works in conjunction with
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Your screen resolutions are saved in the
xorg.conf file.  I do not know of any way to change this file "on the fly"
without restarting something and/or using SUDO/ROOT.  If someone has come up
with a way to do this, I would be very interested.  I have fiddled with the
ATI control panel and determined that it was nearly useless.

On occassion I use my laptop with my S-Video port to TV or VGA port to
overhead projector as a second monitor in the ATI Big Desktop mode. You can
set Big Desktop to either clone your primary monitor, or provide an extension
to it off of any of the four sides (up, down, left, right).  I use it as an
extension that turns my 1440x900 single monitor desktop to 2048x768 dual
monitor desktop. I use Big Desktop in conjunction with Open Office 2.1
Impress: the latest release allows projecting slideshows on a secondary
monitor.  This works out very nicely.

I have two backups of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  One is for single monitor,
the other for ATI Big Desktop.  When I wish to use the Big Desktop, I plug in
my secondary monitor, then copy this backup file over the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file.  Then I restart X with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.  The copy procedure has to
be done as SUDO or ROOT.  When I am done with dual monitor, I copy the single
monitor backup file over the xorg.conf in the same manner, unplug my
secondary, and restart X.  One day I will learn how to make a script so that
I won't need to do the software manipulation manually.

SPECIAL CAUTION: The xorg.conf file can get you into some troubles that will
send you back to command line driven Linux if you don't take care to set it
up properly.

Check out this website (follow instructions for ATI Big Desktop):
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

Larry