Lost Display Settings

Lokeey lokeey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:11:54 GMT 2007

i'm having a similar issue, but for some reason my montior is saying input
out of range...

here's what i did...

i have a monitor with dual I/O signals, DVI and VGA...DVI is going directly
into my linux box...vga was being used for my xbox360.

i was testing out another system and unplugged the 360 to use the vga
port...to go into my other system...at this time i switched the settings on
my monitor from digital to analog...when i was done checking to see what was
on that other box, i disco'd and then i got NO SIGNAL INPUT OUT OF RANGE.

the system boots up fine and i have no issues when i boot up into xp, but
then when i boot up into kubuntu i get the boot display but then when that
completes i get nothing! just a black screen.

anyone have any ideas???

On 2/4/07, Larry Hartman <larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> John:
>
> This a combination of how the ATI driver works in conjunction with
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Your screen resolutions are saved in the
> xorg.conf file.  I do not know of any way to change this file "on the fly"
> without restarting something and/or using SUDO/ROOT.  If someone has come
> up
> with a way to do this, I would be very interested.  I have fiddled with
> the
> ATI control panel and determined that it was nearly useless.
>
> On occassion I use my laptop with my S-Video port to TV or VGA port to
> overhead projector as a second monitor in the ATI Big Desktop mode. You
> can
> set Big Desktop to either clone your primary monitor, or provide an
> extension
> to it off of any of the four sides (up, down, left, right).  I use it as
> an
> extension that turns my 1440x900 single monitor desktop to 2048x768 dual
> monitor desktop. I use Big Desktop in conjunction with Open Office 2.1
> Impress: the latest release allows projecting slideshows on a secondary
> monitor.  This works out very nicely.
>
> I have two backups of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  One is for single
> monitor,
> the other for ATI Big Desktop.  When I wish to use the Big Desktop, I plug
> in
> my secondary monitor, then copy this backup file over the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file.  Then I restart X with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.  The copy procedure has
> be done as SUDO or ROOT.  When I am done with dual monitor, I copy the
> single
> monitor backup file over the xorg.conf in the same manner, unplug my
> secondary, and restart X.  One day I will learn how to make a script so
> that
> I won't need to do the software manipulation manually.
>
> SPECIAL CAUTION: The xorg.conf file can get you into some troubles that
> will
> send you back to command line driven Linux if you don't take care to set
> it
> up properly.
>
> Check out this website (follow instructions for ATI Big Desktop):
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174
>

> Larry
>
> On Sunday 04 February 2007, John Durant wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After installing Edgy on a Compaq lap with an ati video chipset all
> > video settings were lost. Scenario went like this:
> >
> > - Installed Edgy on laptop with CRT attached. Default resolution set at
> > 1400x1050. After some font sizing adjustments display looked superb.
> >
> > - With lid on laptop closed disconnected the monitor to use it with
> > machine2, also a laptop. Machine2 runs XP SP2 at 1024x768
> >
> > - Disconnected from machine2, reconnected to Edgy machine.
> >
> > - Screen resolution went to 640x400 or thereabouts. System would not
> [...]

"I am what I am because of who we all are"