3d screen saver

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 3 22:01:57 UTC 2007

Lokeey:

This is really an ATI video driver related question.  I've been down the ATI
road before.  It looks like the card that you have is not the one that causes
the most troubles for people (that one is the Radeon 200M series).  To set my
card up for LINUX I went through various websites and forums to sort it all
out, but I have that rather infamous card I referred to.  I don't think you
will have the same difficulties.

The Ubuntu repositories do offer the ATI driver; however, it is several
versions old and the newer versions do have some bug fixes in them.  The
latest ATI driver can be found at the ATI website for download (first website
below).  After that, the other sites listed offer how to's and pointers for
troubleshooting and additional features.  I recommend reading through the
material on the websites really well before diving in.

Larry

ATI driver website:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-firegl.html

Dapper Installation Guide:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Dapper_Installation_Guide

Edgy Installation Guide:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation_Guide#Method_2:_Generating.2FInstalling_Ubuntu_packages_for_the_new_8.29.6_drivers_in_Ubuntu_Edgy_Manually

Ubuntu HOWTO:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI#head-c966b2cb7c82944d6883f27a2896725db3b90a3a

Ubuntu Forum--Help with ATI and no DRI problem?:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=289100&highlight=ati+200m

Ubuntu Forum--ATI Big-desktop:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1773544