Slightly OT: is free software development indirectly subsidized?

Joe Hart j.hart at orange.nl
Sat Feb 3 21:36:51 UTC 2007

anthony baldwin wrote:
> On a list for translators, I´ve initiated a discussion of open source
> software in the industry.
>
> One gentleman made the following comment, and I am unsure what truth
> lies therein, nor how to respond.
> His comment:
>
> One question puzzles me: as far as I can tell, 'free software
> development' is indirectly subsidized by the universities or software
> companies that employ these developers during the day (so they can code
> for 'free' at night....)  Without these supporting institutions, free
> software would likely wither away, I think.  What do others think?

Not true.  Not everyone who programs as a hobby does it professionally.
I have written several programs that I released into the public domain.
Why?

Because I wanted the functionality, I wrote the program.

Why shouldn't others be able to benefit from, and possibly improve the
code that I wrote?  If someone does improve it, then I benefit as well.

That is the spirit of open-source.

Another angle:  If I want my computer to do something and I find a
program that works, but not QUITE the way I want, if it is open-source I
may be able to modify it to my liking.  If it is proprietary, I must
submit a feature request and pray that the developers take my suggestion
into consideration for their next version.  Is it likely that my
requested feature will be included in the program?  Not very, unless it
has mass appeal (in the developer's eyes).

Joe