Don't Have Write Permission on Removeable Volumes

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Feb 3 19:01:40 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 9:16 am, Donn wrote:
> I would tell you to check /etc/fstab -- it may be mounted read only -- but
> these days USB just plain confuses me as it don't use fstab!

What about /etc/mtab?

I don't know, it's just a thought.  I haven't figured out how Ubuntu's magical
plug it in and it mounts thingie works.

If in doubt, though, figure out what the device is called, then go mount it by
hand.  For example, it's /dev/sdd1, so you could

mkdir mountpoint
sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdd1 mountpoint

I can't think of any specific real-world examples off the top of my head, but
I've had to use this kind of sledgehammer to detour around problems with the
magical automatic thingie, for various forgotten reasons.

--
D. Michael McIntyre