Notebook touchpad Kubuntu freeze

FX Fraipont fxfrpt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 13:19:32 UTC 2007

H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

> Before this all gets out of hand:
>
> If I got it all right, you get to kdm (the login screen) and then everything freezes (sounds like a mouse problem to me).
>
> First thing I'd do once getting there (in the login screen) is hit <CTRL + ALT + F1> to get into a shell.
>
> Once in there, log in as yourself and do a "startx" on the CML. That way you'll get a plethora of error messages if it goes wrong and you'll be able to take actions.
>
> Once we know those we'll be able to trouble shoot, all the rest is guessing at best .

Almost right. I get the kdm screen, can type my password, and kde loads
all right (mostly, though not always). I even get the mouse cursor. If I
use the touchpad (or a USB mouse), I can usually click once , for
example to open the menu, and then the whole thing freeze.

I have tried your suggestion before, but when I launch the kde with
startx and it freezes, ctrl-alt-delete won't work and I have to reboot
using the power button, so I never get any hints.

fx