Notebook touchpad Kubuntu freeze

FX Fraipont fxfrpt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:16:08 UTC 2007

I am trying to install kubuntu on a Clevo notebook - actually I have
managed to install and arrive in the KDE login screen. I type my
password, and then move the cursor once, and the system freezes and
required a hard reboot.

I've installed a USB mouse, same problem.

The touchpad is recognized as synaptics.

I have played with the xorg.conf file and tried the various solutions
proposed on the Ubuntu forum and the synaptics website, but nothing works.

If I boot with acpi-off, I get kernel panic.

The video card is identified as vesa, though it is a viaN800. If I try
with dpkg-reconfigure and choose via, I can't get X to start.

Any suggestion would be welcome

FX