Some apps display 1/4 size

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 16:54:46 UTC 2007

On 2/2/07, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007 10:55 am, Homer wrote:
> > <http://ftp.srrb.noaa.gov/pub/users/hodges/desktop.png> if you're
> > interested to see what I'm describing.
>
> It looks like some font rendering problem to me, but I don't know what I
> should expect to see, never having used either of these before.

The two smaller windows should each be about 3x as large.

> It looks like maybe they're trying to use a font that is no longer there, and
> falling back to something inappropriate.
>
> I'd have a look at what you get with
>
>         strace -eopen $name_of_application
>
> Look for any font-related bits that say something like
>
>         ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> and see if there is any clue there.
>
> A wild guess to be sure, but it might prove fruitful.

Maybe a wild guess, but you seem to be on to something.  I just ran gv
as you suggested above and I got a bunch of those ENOENT messages.  A
sampling below:

open("/home/hodges/.Xdefaults-space", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/home/hodges/.icons/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/hodges/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/home/hodges/.icons/default/cursors/watch", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/hodges/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/home/hodges/.icons/default/cursors/crosshair", O_RDONLY) = -1