Some apps display 1/4 size

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at
Fri Feb 2 19:55:15 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 12:27 pm, Homer wrote:

> > Maybe a wild guess, but you seem to be on to something.  I just ran gv
> > as you suggested above and I got a bunch of those ENOENT messages.  A
> > sampling below:

It's probably a red herring, given what you said later.

> no matter where it is run, it looks fine on OLD's monitor and small on
> NEW's monitor.

This suggests one thing right off.  DPI.  Investigate the DPI setting of NEW's
monitor.  I'm not sure what these apps have in common, or how they differ
from Firefox and the other things you had displayed, but there's something
there that makes them similar, and they share a common configuration base
that's confused about monitor DPI.

If you can't figure out the common thread any other way, try using
strace -eopen (or strace -f -eopen if either of these spawns child processes
along the way) again, and compare the streams to see what configuration files
they open in common.  Output from strace goes to stderr, so if you want to
capture it, be sure to redirect like

strace -eopen gv 2> gv.output

D. Michael McIntyre