Edgy Corrected Video Problems

Robert Tilley tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 1 13:38:44 UTC 2007

This message is to inform any Kubuntu users who might have a certain video
problem if they are using the i810 driver (Intel 82845 on a Dell 19"
flatscreen.

Under Dapper Drake, for unknown reasons, I began experiencing "flickering
video".  Entire sections of my screen would shift left or right by several
pixels and this effect would cascade up and down my screen.  The shift was
always small enough so that it was tolerable, but _very_ annoying.  I figured
that the video on my Dell Dimension 2350 was dying.  After a bit of price
comparing on pricewatch.com for PCI video cards, I was almost ready to
purchase.

Wanting to upgrade to KDE 3.5.6, I apt-get dist-upgraded my box to Edgy Eft
then rebooted into the new kernel.  Lo and behold...no more flickering!
Something about the X drivers on Dapper must have changed during a routine
aptitude upgrade, which was solved by upgrading to new drivers in Edgy.

I hope this saves someone from spending money on a new video card.

Thank you for your time,

Bob
--
Q:	Why did the lone ranger kill Tonto?