KMail from many platforms

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Mon Dec 31 17:53:54 GMT 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007 15:59, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Suse), would you recommend Exim?
>
> No.  If you're fetching your mail via fetchmail, you only need an MDA
> (maildrop or procmail).
Only used KMail
> If you need a minimal MTA, I like masqmail.  If
> you need a full-featured MTA, I think postfix is simpler to set up than
> Exim (I haven't used either in a long time, though).
I installed postfix and created an IMAP account in KMail.
KMail first connected to localhost but the IMAP folder never got new mail
(although I could copy some there from within KMail )

I played for days with the postfix and dovecot config files and
ownership/authorisations of my folders and as a result I messed up things
that functionned previously. Now KMail tells me it cannot connect to
localhost.
The command:    telnet localhost 143 says connection refused but
Sendmail will have a message delivered in ~/Maildir/new/   (from config)
and also in /usr/lib/dovecot/Maildir/new/  (wonder why)

Needless to say googling was of no help.
No log file in /var/log tell me anything , are there other locations for
logfiles?

Any tips?

Happy new year          Perry

--