Printing text

Charles Trois charles.trois at orange.fr
Mon Dec 31 12:13:19 UTC 2007

I have installed kubuntu 7.10 and configured the printing system as per
kcontrol.

The printer (Epson SC 740) is recognized and prints the CUPS test page
correctly, although very slowly.

I can print text files, but that is also very slow, whereas a text page,
containing relatively little information, ought to be printed rapidly
(as is the case with MacOSX on the same machine).

Is this inherent to CUPS? Is there another way?

I should be grateful to anybody who can throw some light on this problem
of printing text at a reasonable speed.

Charles