Need Startup Help Kbuntu

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 05:03:01 UTC 2007

Clark,
 Welcome to the list :D

> 1. E-mail setup (Kmail), my ISP only supports Outlook and the set-up
> criteria use different labels, I need to get a correlation between the two
> so that I can configure Kmail.
Kmail should work fine too. It's not much different from Outlook except that
you can't really send fancy HTML emails (with tables and backgrounds etc.)
Run kmail. Go to Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Accounts.
You need to add a POP server to receive mail, an SMTP server to send it.

The only ones (I'm guessing) you need are:
Account Name
Password
Host - is something like pop.myISP.com / smtp.myISP.com

Just copy them from Outlook, apply them to that dialogue and try your luck,
you won't break anything!
(Or ask us which fields you are stuck on.)

> 2. Spellcheck won't work in either Kmail or
> Open Office word processor.  Error message "Ispel / Aspel (what are these
> files and where do get a description of them) could not be started.
They are programs that check spelling. Someone already replied, but you can
also use K -> System -> Adept Manager to search for things like this and
install them. I find it a real beast to use and prefer the command line.

BTW, you can search for stuff on the command line (terminal) too. Open konsole
(hit Alt+F2, type: konsole, hit enter) and then try stuff like this:
apt-cache search aspel

Note:
1. it's apt-cache search
2. you can use partial keyword(s). If there are many keywords use a space
between them.
3. once you get a list of results, scroll up and look at them.
4. when you locate the one you want to install:
sudo apt-get install BLAH

That's the basic recipe.

I hope you enjoy the fun and free world of Kubuntu, come back any time to ask
for help!

\d