Printer

Arthur Dyck arthur at avefoodcoop.ca
Sun Dec 30 22:29:28 UTC 2007

Quoting Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:

> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Anton Tikhomirov wrote:
>> I need to install a printer that is on another computer. The other computer
>> is running windows. In my old windows xp i would simply go to windows
>> explorer, type the computers name in, then type the username and the
>> password in and I could see that the shared printer was there. With linux I
>> do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???
>
> Ideally, you should send FF to localhost:631, which is the cups web page, and
> do an add of a new printer which should be located at
> ipp://address_of_winderz-box:631
>
> I believe that xp supports the IPP protocol, so from there you should be able
> to see the printer, and add it to your local resource list in that manner.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

The way I have done it in the past is by going to System Settings and
the selecting Printers.  You then have the option of adding a printer
and there is a wizard that takes you through the process.  You need to
select the SMB shared printer (Windows) and then complete all of the
information requested by the wizard, ie. workgroup, address, etc.
Unfortunately,this has not always worked for me, depending on the
printer, its compatibility with Linux, drivers, etc.  Good luck.

Arthur