man pages in konqueror show 34 for quote

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Dec 30 04:05:57 UTC 2007

On Saturday 29 December 2007, Paul S wrote:

> How can I get the konqueror man page to use the " symbol instead of
> substituting the numbers 34?

I don't see any double quotes in that man page.  Or any numbers 34 either.
OK, I do see `blah' in there, and maybe that's the set of quotes you're
talking about.

OK, it must be, because I see âk (a with a circumflex over it, followed by k)
there.

My Konsole is probably still set to ISO-88-whatever-1 instead of UTF-8.  Let
me check...  Yes.  So I changed this to Default instead, so it will honor my
new UTF-8 locale (since a few upgrades ago) and presto, the quotes are normal
again.

(I figured out where the quotes were by using Konqueror to read the man page
the first time.  Simply type Alt-F2 and enter "#konqueror" into the run box,
and presto.  The graphicalized man pages are a little easier on the eye.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre