HP Laptop (Defeat acknowledged)

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 19:41:37 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 10:36 AM, Stew Schneider <stew.schneider at gmail.com> wrote:
> I gave up on it. The non-profit can use it to...uh....to....read email.
> Or as a backstop for the shooting range. I offered it for sale "Has
> VISTA Business and bullet hole. Unclear which has done the greatest
> damage." Only taker wanted the gun as well, as he was unsure if a single
> bullet hole was sufficient for VISTA.
>
> Thanks for the help. Maybe they'll ask me before buying any more boxes...

OK...if the HP laptop won't accommodate Linux, then I'll approach it
from another direction:

The non-profit's network is called CARES. The workgroup is CARES. The
machines are all elderly XP boxes, mostly XP Professional. One XP Home
as I recall. The network printer is an HP Color Laser 2600. It is at
192.168.1.109, assigned by the router's dhcp server. The XP boxes can
print a test page and confirm the address as 192.168.1.109. The VISTA HP
is a member of CARES workgroup and can access CARES, the router and the
Internet.

The VISTA box sees no computers and no printers.  I changed "Send NTLMv2
response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if
negotiated." in secpol.msc, and also checked the Registry to make sure
that the value referenced was changed from 0x03 to 0x01. I am running
Samba  3.0.22. The Ubuntu server is running Dapper, regularly updated.

I can ping sites on the Internet, I can ping the printer. I cannot
manually install it at that address and print to it. I can ping the
Linux server. I cannot access shares on it.

This is clearly a Vista problem, but because access to the Ubuntu server
is what I'm after, I thought someone here might have a clue how to make
this thing talk nice with Linux.

stew