Problems with Configure Panels -

Anton Rolls anton at wilddsl.net.au
Fri Dec 21 08:54:45 UTC 2007

Hi Dave,

DaveR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The monitor is an older ViewSonic Graphics Series GS773 - when I used to
> run windoze on this box I set the monitor to 1024x768. The graphics card
> angle may be something to pursue. I have no clue what is in the box. I
> will check and see. I also have a 14" monitor and a 17" monitor - I will
> give a go as well. Last but not least I have a old Thinkpad T-45.
>
> I also seem to be in error about 800x600 - in System Settings the max I
> can get is 640x480.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Yep, find out what precise model is physically written on the
graphics card, then you can compare it to what Kubuntu thinks
it is. (Occasionally it's not obvious what the model is amongst
all the numbers. In that case, I just write down every damn
thing written on the card and google different combos
until I find matches.)

To see what Kubuntu thinks it is, use lspci on the command line.

Search  http://ubuntuforums.org/  for other users' experiences
with that card and Kubuntu version.

Viewsonic still has the tech specs available on their website.
That's cool, some other manufacturers' data is harder to find.

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/graphicseries/gs773/

1280x1024 @ 66Hz
1024x768 @ 87Hz
800x600 @ 110Hz