Linux to Linux file browsing

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Dec 20 17:39:30 UTC 2007

Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2007/12/20, David Fletcher <kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net>:
>>
>> On Thursday 20 Dec 2007, Edmund ?augasson wrote:
>> >

>> > NFS is cool but SSH works out of the box and is much more easier to set
>> > up and is more secure and
>> > works also over internet:
>> > In KDE you can write to the address bar so:
>> > fish://user@IP-address/
>> > .... and can log in.
>> >

>> Now THAT's cool. I've got a machine miles away at work that's already got
>> my public key on it, so no password required from here.
>>

> I have tried to do that in KDE before but if i remember right it has some
> drawbacks.
> To be abel to edit files, listen to musik and stuff like it need copy the
> files down
> and cach them. You don't have thous problems if you use a NFS or Samba
> server.

Absolutely - it's always a matter of tradeoffs.  If you have an NFS or
Samba/CIFS _mount_, it will look like the file is on your own system - so
you use standard IO instead of kio slaves.  But since I usually access
Samba files via "smb://hostname/file", it's not in any significant way
different from accessing a file via "ftp://".  otoh, "fish:" is probably
the least efficient, but it can be used for any system to which you can
ssh.  I would _expect_ NFS to be the most efficient, but it's harder to
secure.  Despite its origins at MS, Samba is probably not bad for
efficiency but it can be a real pain to configure.  FTP is easy to
configure, and easy to secure.  So it really comes down to how fast you
need the network IO to be, how secure, and how simple to configure.
--
derek