HP Laptop

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:02:05 UTC 2007

pkaplan1 at comcast.net wrote:
> I assume you checked the iso file w/ md5sum to make sure that there were no errors downloading it.
>
> Can you run qtparted from the live cd?  Try unmounting the hdd and then use qtparted to shrink the ntfs partition first and create new partitions independent of the install routine.  If that works you should be able to install.

There are really two problems: the partitioning problem and the "black
screen" problem. I tried an old Dapper Live CD and it crapped out, too,
complaining that no X server was running. Since this happens with both
the Gutsy (black screen, freeze) and Dapper (no X server running) even
when checking the CD for defects, could there be something else goofy
going on with this hardware?

stew