Acer Travelmate 2200 laptop

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz74.orangehome.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 16:32:12 UTC 2007

Over the weekend I decided to have a go at installing Kubuntu 7.10 on an Acer
Travelmate 2200 laptop which went OK apart from a few problems that I was
hoping someone here would be able to help me with.

1) I had to use ndiswrapper to enable me to use the wireless function as there
wasn't a pre-built Linux driver, which works except that I have to type the
SSID and pass code of the router I'm trying to connect to into
Knetworkmanager everytime I boot up, until I do it can't find any wireless
networks. Also, how do I enable the wireless network at boot up - the laptop
has 2 buttons at the front for bluetooth and wi-fi - if the wi-fi light isn't
on it won't connect either.

2) I'm having trouble with certain applications that I think need 3D graphics
enabled, the only one I can find for the card in the laptop - a Radeon
Mobility 9100 - is the default ati one. If I try to run Supertuxcart, instead
of a clock at the top right of the window I get flashing red boxes and I
can't even get GoogleEarth to load.

3) I get an error at bootup saying:

8139cp: pci dev 0000:00:0b.0 (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+ compatible
chip
8139cp: Try the "8139too" driver instead.

I'm going to try the answers posted in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=599364, but is there anything else I
can try?

4) This may be linked to (3), but I can't get it to boot up unless I turn
the 'nosplash' option on in GRUB.