KMail from many platforms

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Sun Dec 16 10:57:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 05 December 2007 19:27:04 Derek Broughton wrote:
Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
(snip)
> > I am using Suse 9.3  and KUbuntu feisty *on the same computer* and I
> > would like to use KMail from both, with the same context, i.e. accessing
> > the same Mail folder. (same whish for 2 user accounts under feisty, only
(snip)
> For two users on the same computer, it's easiest to use a local IMAP server
> (never mind about "offline" or "disconnected" IMAP). Install dovecot or
> courier-imap and put all the folders under the server.
(snip)

So I installed dovecot under one of the user for Kubuntu.
It will be necessary to install it also on the Suse side. Some files and
forders (e.g. Mail) should be placed where all the instances of dovecot can
access them.
(I feel I'm using a steam-roller to crack a peanut, but I am having fun)

I decided what I needed was the "Virtual User Installation" because my wife's
laptop could then be connected. Am I right?

I belive I need a mail transfer agent (installed under both KUbuntu and Suse),
would you recommend Exim?

For a mail client I haven't yet found anything relevant in the docs (too much
of them and that subject is really new to me) but I hope Web Konqueror could
be used just the way I read my fresh mail directly from my isp server when
I'm not at home. Right?

Well a few tips may save me a lot of time.

Thanks a lot		Perry

P.S. Derek said:
> Pointing ~/Mail to the same location should be practically harmlesss :-)
> I'd still feel safer letting an IMAP server do that.
I whish Derek or someone else could comment on that.