Remotely using KDE

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Dec 15 19:32:29 UTC 2007

Stew Schneider wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> If you have a host "serverhost", and a remote machine "remotehost", and a
>> user currently running a KDE session on display serverhost:0, you can use
>> vnc (and krfb) to share that session and see it on "remotehost", but you
>> can also use it to initiate a completely separate session (otoh, if I
>> want
>> a separate session, NX is simpler and faster).  The vnc session available
>> to remotehost can be initiated via XDMCP (ie, when you start it, you're
>> at the kdm/gdm/xdm login screen, and you can select the desktop you want)
>> or it can just start kde directly.
>>
> This is a great mystery to me. I run a couple servers for non-profits.
> On #1, I set up XDMCP and can log into the Dapper server from any old
> laptop runing tightVNC. On #2, I followed exactly the same instructions
> and never could get to the kdm/gdm/xdm login. I ssh into #2 to
> administer it.

Hey, I didn't say I could get XDMCP to work :-)  I don't use VNC anymore,
preferring NX, but when I did use vnc, I once had XDMCP working.  Then I
upgraded my debian system and I _never_ got it to work again.  The one
thing I remember is that kdm needs you to modify a config file in a
completely different place than xdm/gdm, and they all need you to modify
about 3 files...

> Makes me look dumb and interferes with my ability to pick up girls.

Stew, being a sysadmin interferes with your ability to pick up girls :-)  If
you quit running those servers, you'll _immediately_ become more charming
and attractive.  (Though I confess I met a pretty hot [female] sysadmin at
a Christmas party last week :-) )
--
derek