Remotely using KDE

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 18:43:07 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> If you have a host "serverhost", and a remote machine "remotehost", and a
> user currently running a KDE session on display serverhost:0, you can use
> vnc (and krfb) to share that session and see it on "remotehost", but you
> can also use it to initiate a completely separate session (otoh, if I want
> a separate session, NX is simpler and faster).  The vnc session available
> to remotehost can be initiated via XDMCP (ie, when you start it, you're at
> the kdm/gdm/xdm login screen, and you can select the desktop you want) or
> it can just start kde directly.

This is a great mystery to me. I run a couple servers for non-profits.
On #1, I set up XDMCP and can log into the Dapper server from any old
laptop runing tightVNC. On #2, I followed exactly the same instructions
and never could get to the kdm/gdm/xdm login. I ssh into #2 to
administer it.

Have you got some clear instructions how to get that going or at least
how to troubleshoot it? #2 runs just fine, and I can administer it via
ssh, but I don't like having something happen that I don't understand.
Makes me look dumb and interferes with my ability to pick up girls.

stew