Remotely using KDE

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:13:29 UTC 2007

Donn said the following at 12/14/2007 10:52 PM :
>> 1. I am logged in one computer A, using KDE.
>> 2. I want to log in to computer B (over ssh) and start KDE so that it
>> appears on another display on computer A
>> When I try to do just log in and start KDE on computer B, I get the
>> message: KDE seems to be already running on this display
>
> Apologies, I didn't read your mail properly.

I do that all the time too :-)

> It sounds like you have two screens on computer A and that B is a Kubuntu
> machine. So you have X client/servers all over the place.

Yep. Two machines. Both running Kubuntu. And one needs (I am pretty sure
about this) two logical displays on both machines, with the second logical
display on the remote machine sent to the second logical display on the
local machine.

> Have you tried, on B from A, via ssh-X:
> DISPLAY=hostnameofB:1; export DISPLAY
>
> The :1 (I think) means your other display.
>
> Then try running simple stuff like xterm just to see what gives. My point was
> that Kubuntu Desktop is a bear to run across ssh like this, I have not got it
> right and I spent many hours.
>
> Sorry for the noise.
>
> Here's two links that might help:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_X-forwarding
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Remote-X-Apps.html

OK, there have been several suggestions in this thread, so I will work
through them and see if I can get any of them to work.

You'd think this would be an FAQ somewhere, with a step-by-step howto.

  Doc