Remotely using KDE

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Dec 15 14:13:11 UTC 2007

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Donn said the following at 12/14/2007 11:29 AM :
>
> There was incomprehensible (to me) tech tip on something similar in "Linux
> Journal" a couple of months ago, but I never could understand it.

I'm pretty sure that was NX.  Go to NoMachine.com, download the
Debian/Ubuntu packages for nxserver (Free edition), nxnode and nxclient.
Install them all on the host machine.  Install the client on the remote
machine.  Done.

>> Then you have to change the DISPLAY env var.
>> DISPLAY=localhost:0.0; export DISPLAY
>
> Possibly I'm being dense (in fact, possibly I'm being completely wrong),
> but isn't 0:0 the display that is connected to the (remote) monitor?

Sort of... see below

> n7dr at jcomputer2:~$ DISPLAY=localhost:0:0

This should be localhost:0.0, not 0:0.  Even so, you don't want to share
that display.
--
derek