frontpage alternative

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Dec 14 01:39:16 UTC 2007

Brendan wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007, Jared Greenwald wrote:
>
>> Not necessarily kde-based, but there is quanta...
>>

> For a newbie? That's like hitting a nail with a nuke.
> Best to either learn HTML or go with something like angelfire.com or
> tripod.com

I'm not necessarily in total disagreement with you. When I first started
making my own web pages the only way was pure HTML in a text editor.
That's still how I do it. BUT, not everyone "wants" to learn the HTML
language.

Quanta+ and KompoZer both have a WYSIWYG mode. I have done something
VERY simple in both just to see how they code the page. While there are
things I would do different, they are MUCH better than Front Page. [
Front Page should be renamed "Trash Page" ]

For someone that wants to just put up a simple "Hey here I am" type
page, or as someone else mentioned a simple page to show someone
something, I don't see the need to learn to hand code. [ although raw
HTML might be faster and simpler ] For someone that wants to do several
pages, and better ones, then of course HTML is the way to do it. [ I see
a LOT of commercial page writers now use Front Page and the garbage that
creates ]

As someone else mentioned, NOT everyone in the world has a super fast
connection. Making pages with "code bloat" makes it harder on them. I'm
in the process of cleaning up and redoing a friends web pages that were
done in FP. On one page I dropped out just over 3KB of excess coding.
AND the page wasn't really all that big or complicated, mostly text. The
only way you can tell there's a difference is the lower ratio of white
space to message.