Dual Boot - Windows Xp Home & Linux - Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake - 2 Hard Drives

STEPHEN HILL stephenehill-2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 14 01:30:33 UTC 2007

    I began with Windows Xp Home with SP2 on my Western Digital, 60 Gig. SATA Hard Drive, Primary Master and with Windows Xp and all data copied to my Primary Slave, Western Digital 80 Gig. IDE Hard Drive as a backup.
     I wanted to install Linux - Kubuntu on my Primary Slave 80 Gig. IDE Drive and leave Windows Xp on the Primary Master 60 Gig. SATA Drive and be able to switch from one OS to the other.
    I knew I'd have to reboot to switch OSs.  In Windows Xp's, Control Panel + Administrative Tools + Device Manager + Disk Management, I simply forced deletion of the Active  Partition  on the Primary Slave 80 Gig. Drive by right-clicking the drive representation and clicking  "Delete Partition".  That Drive then was completely Unallocated as a result, and ready for my Kubuntu Installation.
   Next I rebooted the computer to make sure the Primary Slave,  80
 Gig.  Drive was  still  Unallocated.
It was.  Next I put the free Linux - Kubuntu Live CD into my BIOS's 1st boot drive and rebooted again.
    After Kubuntu loaded everything, The Kubuntu Desktop appears.  On the desktop I clicked the ICON that said Install and followed the install pages until page 5 of 6, the "Select a disk" page, where I clicked on the /dev/hdb: IDE 2 Primary Slave (hdb) - 80.0WD800BB-00JAO  and then clicked Next.
    One page 6 of 6 the "Prepare disk space" page I clicked the "Erase entire disk: IDE2 Slave (hdb1) 80.0GB WD800BB-00JAO and clicked next.
    On the "Ready to install" Page, check that all the information here is correct, if anything is not as you selected in previous pages click the back button until you get to the page you wish to make changes to, make your changes and click next until you get back to the "Ready to install" Page.  Now you're ready to install Kubuntu, so click Next and the CD begins the installation.
    When you see the "Installatio complete" dialog box, take the CD out of the drive and click
"Restart now".
    After the computer reboots look for a screen that offers you a choice of Kubuntu or Windows Xp.
Be prepared to hit the pause button to read this page because you only get 10 seconds to decide which operating system you want to load.
    Well, that's how I did it. And it works every time  I  reboot.
                                                                                                                         Stephenehill