KMail from many platforms

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Wed Dec 12 18:16:22 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 15:09, Derek Broughton wrote:
> There's no reason you need to stick to adept.
I thought adept and synaptic use different data bases to keep tract of the
installed programs and alternating would confuse them.
> I _think_ you'll get
> different results between adept and aptitude, and synaptic and aptitude,
> but they should give the same results as each other and apt-get.
Not sure I understand.
> The only
> reason aptitude is different is the default options it runs with (it
> installs all "recommends" as well as dependencies).
>
> > so I try to stick with adept.
>
> Fine - but you have to use the right adept!
Thanks for the tip.

> There is adept-manager and adept-installer.  adept-installer is the stupid
> little brother :-(  It explicitly only presents you a subset of the actual
> installable programs.  I can't say more because I have _never_ used it.
Oh, I'm dissapointed, I thought it was a great program, easy to use.

> > I also read that integration of gnome programs in kde made progress,
> > meaning some programs may no work or not perfectly (hope I got it right
> > so far).
>
> No, I'm sure they really mean _integration_ - the ability of the program to
> use kio slaves and _look_ like a KDE app when run in KDE.  Otherwise, Gnome
> programs do the same thing when run under KDE as they do under Gnome - but
> they don't _look_ the same as KDE apps.
>
> > That explains why, having no problem finding dovecot with Synaptic
> > but failing using adept_installer, I took that as an indication dovecot
> > was intentionally not included in what adept-installer offered.
>
> You're right, it's intentional
So the intention was just to keep the kde "look and feel"
> - but it is available from adept-manager.
>
> > Your comment makes me belive I have not enabled the same repos for adept
> > as for synaptic (right?) (I still have to find out how, I may have to do
> > some homework first  ;-)    )
> >
> >>  Makes me suspect you're not using a blessed source...
>
> Sorry, that was a brain-fart on my end, because the only way to have adept
> and synaptic use different repositories is for one or both to specify a
> different config file.  By default, they both get their sources
> from /etc/apt/sources.list*
Thanks again		Perry

P.S. reinstalled dovecot with the right adept, back at the stage of editing
the configuration file; "sudo dovecot -n"  still gives me errors I'm trying
to solve one by one. Will work some time by myself before (not) having to ask
for more help.
--
BOFH excuse #314: You need to upgrade your VESA local bus to a MasterCard
local bus