Tesseract version 2.00 with gutsy

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Tue Dec 11 22:16:27 UTC 2007

I just installed tesseract on my gutsy machine and it works great.  But even
though my PATH lists /usr/local/bin, when I try to run tesseract I get

bruce at blacky:~/docs/temp$  tesseract   fay22.tif   fay.test
bash: /usr/bin/tesseract: No such file or directory

It works perfectly if I type in the full path:
     /usr/local/bin/tesseract   fay22.tif   fay.test

It works if I do sudo tesseract, even though the tesseract executable has
execute for others.

ls -l /usr/local/bin/tes*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5822282 2007-12-11 13:46 tesseract

I guess I could fix it with a symbolic link, but would someone explain why my
path doesn't make this work?
bruce