Flash not working on new PC

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Tue Dec 11 10:00:12 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 11 Dec 2007, David McGlone wrote:

> > No, I'm using Firefox.
>
> Ok, did you put the flash plugin in the correct plugin folder for firefox?
>
> --
> David M.

Here's what seems silly - On the old laptop machine that I installed when
Gutsy was in Beta, I think, or it might have been Release Candidate, I just
used Add/Remove Programs to install the Flash player, did nothing else, and
it "Just Worked". On this new machine, that I built a few days ago, I
installed and updated Gutsy, used the Add/Remove Programs again. Java works
just fine with Firefox - I can see the Nasa Orbital Tracker no problems, but
Flash doesn't.

I used to have to mess around putting flash plugins into the correct folder
with Fedora Core, which was a PITA because I always had to fix it again when
something got upgraded. I thought all this was sorted out with Kubuntu.

Yes I can poke around in the Firefox plugin folders to make sure it's in the
correct place, I expect, but you can't really expect Joe Public to go doing
stuff like that, or (s)he'll just go right back to $soft. You can now order
(when they're back in stock) Linux PCs from Tesco Direct
http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999034$37/Nr.99.aspx for goodness sake, so it
ought to "Just Work". I heard somewhere that the Tesco machines have Ubuntu
installed.

Dave