KMail from many platforms

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Mon Dec 10 18:13:54 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 14:34:18 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > I installed dovecot, from sources because I couldn't find it in KUbuntu's
> > repos (was in Ubuntu's though but I didn't dare try that)
>
> Whoa!  What repos are you using that you think are Kubuntu but not Ubuntu??
> There is no such thing as a "Kubuntu" repository.

I'm a bit new on Kubuntu and havent mastered completely the
apt-get/adept/aptitude/synaptic stuff (was using "YAST" and binaries before)

I know it isn't wise to alternate between synaptic and adept (although both
are graphical layers for apt-get) so I try to stick with adept.
(I'm not sure what happens when you alternate between apt-get and adept.)
I also read that integration of gnome programs in kde made progress, meaning
some programs may no work or not perfectly (hope I got it right so far).
That explains why, having no problem finding dovecot with Synaptic but failing
using adept_installer, I took that as an indication dovecot was intentionally
not included in what adept-installer offered.

Your comment makes me belive I have not enabled the same repos for adept as
for synaptic (right?) (I still have to find out how, I may have to do some
homework first  ;-)    )

>  Makes me suspect you're not using a blessed source...
I can't remeber where I downloaded it from, and don't know where (or if) my
computer kept a trace of that. Do you belive I should take any action beside
removing that program and searching for all the executable files associated
with the date of that installation?
BTW I'm not paranoid about my personal computer (it only contains part of my
life), but I don't mind learnig skills that would be necessary in a more
stringent environment and I belive it is my duty not letting my computer
being turned into some sort of bot.

> > Now the logfile says:
(snip)
> I don't know what you've done wrong, but please install the binary.  It
> Just Works.

Thanks a lot, I don't insist on doing it the hard way, won't have time tomorow
but will attempt to "upgrade" myself and install the binary on wednesday.

By		Perry