fstab Question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Dec 10 13:13:55 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Friday 07 December 2007, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> simple to mount them manually but I would rather not have to. below is
>
>> IF I edit to make these parameters the same will I screw something up?
>
> Get rid of "noauto."  It's preventing them from being mounted at boot
> time. (That's what it means.)

Except that it's kind-of-required with the "users" parameter.  If it's
auto-mounted, then it's going to be owned by root.  That should be fine for
the Susie partition, but not for the XP one.  If he wants to automount
sda1, he probably needs to assign it his own ID (or my preferred method was
to create a group "win", and add users to that group, and then set the
umask in the mount to ensure it was writable to group "win" - it being a
long time since I've needed this, I can't recall the exact fstab line).
--
derek